The ERR objectives are:
- To establish and maintain a database that can be used as a benchmark for research conducted in the Gauteng province to support government, research institutions, private sector and non-governmental organisations (NGOs);
- To provide environmental research-related information to decision-makers;
- To track information required by different statutory bodies and stakeholders;
- To provide annual progress reports to the provincial government departments regarding the number of environmental research projects undertaken;
- To ensure that the research data and reports are accessible to all stakeholders; and
- To facilitate research collaboration between various research institutions and the provincial government.
Based on a memorandum of agreement signed between GDARD, ACE and UJ’s Process, Energy and Environmental Technology Station in 2021, ACE is hosting the ERR on their website.
The methodology followed to compile the ERR is explained in the annual report, which also provides an overview of the environmental research conducted in Gauteng per economic sector, environmental focus area, research institution, geographical location, type of research output, and status of the research project (completed, ongoing, or discontinued).